AbSec’s definition of an ACCO
Within the child, family and community care sector, AbSec defines an Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation (ACCO) per the criteria outlined below, which should also be reflected in the organisation’s constitution:
- Is an independent, not-for-profit organisation, that is incorporated as an Aboriginal organisation
- Has been initiated by, and is controlled and operated by Aboriginal people; thereby acknowledging the right of Aboriginal peoples to self-determination
- Is based in a local Aboriginal community, or communities
- Is governed by an Aboriginal Board which is elected by members of the local Aboriginal community or communities where it is based; and decision making of the Board is determined by Aboriginal Board members
- Delivers services that build strength and empowerment in Aboriginal communities and people.