Family Matters NSW
The Family Matters campaign is Australia’s national campaign to ensure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and young people grow up safe and cared for in family, community and culture. Led by SNAICC, Family Matters is supported by a Strategic Alliance of over 150 organisations, academics and prominent educational institutions.
The NSW Family Matters Collective, made up of Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal organisations, drives the campaign in NSW, seeking to empower Aboriginal communities across our state to design and deliver the services they need to achieve better outcomes for Aboriginal children, families and communities.
The Priorities of the NSW Family Matters Collective are:
- Better practice to support and strengthen Aboriginal children and families
- Empower Aboriginal communities to have self-determination over child protection and safety matters
- A child protection system that is accountable to and has the confidence of Aboriginal families and communities, including structural and legislative reform
- Aboriginal community-controlled approaches are best for serving Aboriginal children and families, working in partnership with non-Aboriginal agencies where required
- Aboriginal people designing the policies that impact on their lives, with support models that drive better outcomes developed by Aboriginal people and families
- Each Aboriginal child in care has an individualised plan for their future, and is provided with support based on their needs, including support for their cultural rights and connection to family and community developed by Aboriginal people and families
Read more about the NSW Family Matters Campaign Priorities here.
You can support better outcomes for Aboriginal children and families in NSW by signing up to the work of the NSW Family Matters Collective and keeping informed.
If your organisation would like to join us or find out more, please contact us at email@example.com.
The NSW Family Matters Collective includes:
- Aboriginal Child, Family and Community Care State Secretariat (AbSec)
- Aboriginal Care and Support Services (Abcare)
- The Infants Home
- Advocate Children and Young People
- Bungree Aboriginal IFBS
- Illawarra Aboriginal Corporation
- Kari Aboriginal Resource Inc
- Grandmothers Against Removals NSW
- NSW ACT Aboriginal Legal Service
- Association of Child Welfare Agencies (ACWA)
- Guardian Youth Care
- Barnados Australia
- Life Without Barriers
- Bamba-Baa PACT Moree
- The Benevolent Society
- Link Up NSW
- Burrun Dalai OOHC & Family Support Service
- NSW Council of Social Service
- Winangay Resources
To learn more about the national Family Matters campaign please visit the website.