All AbSec members, Board members, staff, volunteers, students and contractors will:
- Adhere to the National Privacy Principles, as contained within the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000 ensuring the privacy of all participants in the organisation. Detailed information on these Principles can be obtained at www.privacy.gov.au
- Respect the confidentiality of information of a sensitive nature obtained in the course of service provision or any meetings
- Not share confidences revealed by the organisation, service users, staff, volunteers, or Board members without their consent. Exceptions to this include: duty of care responsibilities or legislation requiring information to be released; AbSec is subpoenaed to provide information for court proceedings or there is an overriding public interest
- Ensure service users’ written consent is obtained before information about them is sought or released by AbSec. Where a service user is unable to consent to the release of information, staff must contact and obtain from their ‘person responsible’ or guardian the written informed consent
- Ensure service user issues are not discussed with staff members other than those who need information to ensure that effective support is provided
- Inform service users and groups fully about the limits of confidentiality in any given situation, the purposes for which information is obtained and how it may be used
- Take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information it collects, uses or discloses is accurate, complete and up-to-date
- Ensure that data collection in all AbSec services is conducted in a manner that does not identify the service user by name and which adheres to the recommended Data Protection Principles of the New South Wales Privacy Committee.
- Ensure that all information about service users and staff that is held by AbSec is recorded and made available in ways that respect their rights to privacy, dignity and confidentiality
- Ensure that the privacy and confidentiality of relationships between service users, their families, guardians, advocates and friends is respected
- Ensure that all of AbSec`s service users’ details are kept secure, without restricting each service user’s access to his/her particular file or restricting access by staff who maintain the files
- Ensure that all of AbSec’s staff records are kept secure, without restricting each staff member’s access to his/her particular file or restricting access by the staff who maintain these files
- Ensure that the privacy of other people is protected when providing service users with access to their own personal information
- Ensure that the physical privacy of service users is protected in the day-to-day operations of AbSec services (e.g. personal hygiene, meetings, mail, phone calls etc.).
For any questions or concerns please contact the staff at Absec.