We recognise that a holistic and comprehensive strategy is the first building block to successfully achieving change. We are currently undertaking consultations for the next iteration of our organisational strategy, which is due to be refreshed in 2018. We are committed to keeping our supporters and community members informed of this process.
For the past three years, we have been guided by the AbSec Strategic Plan 2015–2018. The strategy outlines our vision, as well as the objectives and guiding principles that form the core of who we are at AbSec.
Our vision is that all Aboriginal children and young people are looked after in safe, thriving Aboriginal families and communities and are raised strong in spirit and identity, with every opportunity for lifelong wellbeing and connection to culture, surrounded by holistic supports.
Goals and objectives
In working towards our vision, we take the following actions:
- Work towards achieving self-determination for all Aboriginal people and communities.
- Contribute to building a safe, secure and caring environment for our children and young people, where they are surrounded by culture.
- Support Aboriginal organisations in delivering quality holistic supports for Aboriginal children, young people, families and carers, and communities.
- Provide and support opportunities for continual improvement, learning, growth and change for organisations looking after Aboriginal children, young people, families and their communities.
- Work with government to enact better policies and practice for Aboriginal children, families and communities.
- Provide Aboriginal workforce development to ensure a strong and capable Aboriginal sector, supporting our children, young people, families and their communities.
We also embrace these values and principles:
- Acknowledgement and respect — we acknowledge the diversity and cultural knowledge of all Aboriginal nations. We respect Traditional Owners of the land and Elders.
- Professionalism and integrity — we act with the highest of professionalism and honour the trust placed in us by our communities. Our absolute commitment to AbSec’s goals will not be compromised by any desire for personal gain.
- Self-determination — we uphold the right of Aboriginal people to be active and empowered decision-makers in issues that impact their lives.
- Focus on solutions — we take a forward-looking and constructive approach to problems faced by our communities, building positive solutions.
- Transparency and commitment — we remain committed to our people in everything we do, ensuring our actions and motivations are clear, and that we are accountable to our communities.
Our activities are determined by four strategic directions:
- Our Aboriginal children, families, carers and communities are involved in decision-making, and participate in creating a future that is able to meet their needs within their local community.
- Our Aboriginal sector is strong, sustainable and capable to cater for the needs of our children, families, carers, people with disability and communities, and are supported to provide more holistic responses.
- Our partners work with us to ensure Aboriginal children, young people, families, carers and communities are supported in safe, thriving and holistic environments, providing the resources to meet cultural needs and lifelong wellbeing.
- Our organisation is sustainable and capable of meeting and responding to the challenges of changing environments, ensuring good practices are modelled and represented to our stakeholders.
We pursue a number of goals cascading under these strategic directions, which can be found in the Strategic Plan.
Monitoring and evaluation
Progress towards achieving these goals is monitored on an ongoing basis, using both qualitative and quantitative methods. We incrementally report on our progress in each of our annual reports, and expect to produce a full progress summary at the conclusion of the Strategic Plan 2015–2018.